Monday 28 November 2011

Steamed chives dumplings, 韭菜餜, Gu Chai Gue




Garlic Chives

My mum makes the best garlic chives dumplings. It's a traditional recipe that has been passed down the generations but unfortunately it will probably stop with me. I am great at eating it. I can roll the dough. I know roughly the ingredients she uses (minced pork, dried shrimp, garlic chives). Shamefully, I fail when it comes to actually putting it all together. 

Steamed Chive Dumplings "Gu Chai Gue": Here is an awesome clip I found on youtube (thank goodness for youtube) because I can't begin to describe the skill (and art) involved in sculpting these dumplings.

Tea for Two Sisters Blog: This blogspot describes it perfectly for me. I remember when I visited my cousins overseas, making Gu Chai Gue would be something all the women in the village would do together. Of course, in the village, they milled their own flour. But that's another story.





2 comments:

  1. Keep at it! You'll get the hang of it the more you form them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine. It's definitely worth the effort when they are so yummy! Thank you for your tips!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts