Tuesday 22 November 2011

Molokhia

Molokhia




I loved recreating this Egyptian recipe. Thank you my beautiful friend (you know who you are!) who was so kind to share her homemade recipe with me.

These were my notes which I scribbled down over the phone. Just quietly, I was so pleased with the result. I also had enough to bring to work the next day for lunch. (Although in hindsight, not a very considerate idea as my colleague had to suffer the wonderful aromas of roasted chicken, garlic and spice!)

However as a family meal where we ALL can enjoy the garlic, I do think it is a hit. I am hoping it will be a frequent meal at our house.

A good guide is SBS Food Safari. They have step-by-step instructions which are simple and easy to follow. I chose to cook a whole chicken instead of rabbit and used minced frozen Molokhia. I also like the texture of medium grain rice.


Recipe Notes:
  • Bring water to boil first, then add chicken, 1 tomato, 1 onion, 1 bay leaf, 2 cardamon.
  • Simmer on low heat until chicken is cooked, remove chicken, strain and reserve stock.
  • Take chicken off the bone and add chicken meat to soup stock.
  • Heat 1 tbsp oil to a pan, fry 1 tsp minced garlic, 1 tsp coriander powder, salt & pepper.
  • Add flavoured oil & molokhia to soup. Heat soup but do not boil.
  • Serve with cooked plain rice. Add a squeeze of lemon juice if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts